Nineteen years have passed since that day, but it seems like only yesterday.
You know the day that I mean; the one that changed the world.
On that day and shortly thereafter:
- We pledged that we would unite in common cause;
- We promised to protect each other;
- We vowed to be kinder to one another;
We swore that we would never forget. But an entire generation has been born since then.
I wake this morning and:
- We are more divided today than ever in my lifetime;
- We need not fear the terrorists, we burn our own cities;
- We reserve kindness only for those with whom we agree, and if we cannot come to mind, then they deserve our cruelty and scorn.
We have forgotten.